Applicable use cases include:
- commissioning an automation system (e.g., a machine) to ensure all Assets in an engineered system are from the expected manufacturer and are the expected model;
- prior to or at the initiation of data communication between AutomationComponents to ensure nothing has been (adversely) changed (e.g., during maintenance or shutdown);
- after conducting a firmware update to ensure the updated Asset is compatible with what was engineered;
- after replacing an Asset to ensure that the Asset has been replaced by one that is compatible or identical to what was engineered;
- verification of the instance of an Asset (e.g., serial number), which is often a requirement in certain applications and industries (e.g., pharmaceutical).