The FunctionalEntityType defines the base information and functionality that all FunctionalEntities provide. The FunctionalEntityType provides data and methods to control and monitor its functionality. This includes input, output, and configuration data. A FunctionalEntity also provides identification information and methods to perform functionality-related verifications. An important part of the FunctionalEntity model is the interaction between FunctionalEntities which is modelled as a Connection. The FunctionalEntity part of the model includes information such as status, diagnostics, and other information to help represent this Connection:
- Identification properties: Identity – When establishing a Connection between FunctionalEntities, it may be essential to confirm identity, meaning to check that the other FunctionalEntity is the one that is expected. For an overview of verification, see 5.2.
- Input data – describes the values that may be produced by another FunctionalEntity and consumed by this FunctionalEntity.
- Output data – describes the values that are produced by the processing of this FunctionalEntity and are available for other FunctionalEntities to consume.
- Configuration data – describes any value that is used to set up and configure functionality.
- Diagnostic data – describes information related to the status of its functionality, including the status of any Connections. This may include the generation of Events or Alarms related to problems or issues encountered by the FunctionalEntity.