A higher-level system requests from a GMS which (measurement) functions/parameters (measuring space) are available, how the machine is identified if the measuring system is calibrated, retrieves additional information from machine components and, to receive an overview of the sensor system, respectively in order to
- provide an overview of GMS's capabilities
- validate measurement jobs addressed to a certain GMS
- plan measuring tasks for GMSs
- be able to locate all GMSs
- assign the appropriate GMS to the part to be measured, if several different GMSs are available
Figure 10 shows a typical communication between GMS, operator and high-level system to retrieve static machine data as a sequence diagram.