The OPC Crane Specification describes an information model, which aims to cover all current and future crane or hoist systems such as:
- Bridge Cranes
- Gantry Cranes
- Light crane systems
- Several control units
- Load attachments and other peripheral devices, which do not have their own OPC UA server
OPC UA for Cranes and Hoists Part 1 (OPC 40020-1) provides information for supervision, condition monitoring, asset management and limitation from external system. In future parts, the information model will be extended to cover more use cases.
The following functionalities are covered:
- Provision of asset configuration and runtime data of a running crane system (represented as a motion device system) and its components e. g. hoists, trolleys, bridge travelling machineries, brakes, motors, controllers, and software.
- Limitations from external systems
Following functions are not included and might be covered in future parts:
- A messaging mechanism covered by events and alarms to provide conditions
- A state machine to inform about the status of task controls and to interact via methods
- The possibility for the operator to store customer specific information inside the motion device system e. g. location, cost centre, and ERP data.