In order to prevent and protect the manufacturers and vendors of OPC UA Safety products from possibly misleading understandings or wrong expectations and gross negligence actions regarding safety-related developments and applications the following items must be observed and explained in each training, seminar, workshop and consultancy.
- Any device will not be automatically applicable for safety-related applications just by implementing OPC UA Safety.
- In contrast, appropriate development processes according to safety standards must be observed for safety-related products (see IEC 61508, IEC 61511, IEC 602041, IEC 62061, and ISO 13849-2) and/or an assessment from a notified assessment body is required.
- The manufacturer of a safety product is responsible for the correct implementation of the safety communication layer technology, as well as the correctness and completeness of the product documentation and information.
- Additional important information including corrigenda and errata published by the OPC Foundation and/or PI must be considered for implementation and assessment.
- The OPC Foundation will publish an automated test tool which must be used for verification. The test implements the OPC UA Safety test specification described in a separate document. For an overview, see Clause 12.3. The test must be successfully run at a test laboratory accredited by the OPC UA or PI.